Sunday, June 12, 2011

Battle Royal at the Crown Royal

Status: Fluff

All Certified Public Accountants are required to have 80 hours of Continuing  Professional Education (CPE) every two years.  With my firm being very invested in government audits, I tend to take a lot of government CPE. Now I know that these classes might sound incredibly exciting, but let me assure you that they are not. I had to take one of these classes last week, “Government Auditing: putting it all together”. I know, you’re jealous, but please, let me continue. This lively event was held at the Crown Royal Hotel in Lake Oswego Oregon.
I started off the conference well, my veins full of caffeine and complimentary pastries. But as time lapsed, so did my concentration. I have a theory that as we become more relaxed in public settings where we’re supposed to pay attention (be it class, church, or a government auditing conference) we tend to fall into reoccurring fantasies. I know that’s how it is for me. What is my fantasy you ask? I wish I could tell you it was sitting on a beach sipping mai tai’s with Sandra Bullock (I know, she’s old but she still has it going on). Nope, my fantasy is a zombie apocalypse.
I start by thinking, “if my neighbor suddenly turns into a flesh eating monster, how would I get to an exit?” I then start wondering what weapons I could use (pens, chairs, and government auditing manuals), and usually finish with what route I would take to get out of town, and what survivors, if any, I would take with me.
I have constructed this crude drawing as a visual interpretation:



Why do I have this fantasy? I’m not quite sure, but I guess I can blame movies and video games like everyone else. Still, at least I’ll be well prepared if a zombie apocalypse does happen.  Especially since I go to accounting conferences.  50+, balding, and overweight Zombies aren’t the most intimidating monsters in the world. I’d be screwed if I was a policeman or a firefighter.
What about you? let me know what your fantasies are in these situations.

1 comment:

  1. Interactive CPE course is one of the advantages in taking your CPA CPE online offered by accredited providers. Other than its helpful features, most providers offer low cost online cpe classes.

    ReplyDelete