Monday, July 18, 2011

The Professional Pyramid

Status: Fluff

So let be begin by stating that I’m proud of where I’m at. I worked my way through college, got my degree, and obtained my CPA license. I have nothing to be ashamed of. That being said, why do I feel so inferior when I go to a doctor’s office? Part of it is because many doctors try to make you feel inferior, but they also have to go through much more than other professionals.  Still, does that give them the right to act like my profession is silly after I tell them what I do? And it’s not like I just start boasting, it’s just an answer to the question they ask.  I have noticed that I do the same thing to other professionals.  I have come to the conclusion that there is a professional pyramid, with top level looking down on those beneath them.  I would say it goes a little bit like this:

You’ll notice that Doctors take the top spot, with dentists close behind (I know, they’re both technically doctors, but I just didn’t feel comfortable grouping them together. Do you really respect a dentist as much as an MD?) Next on the list are lawyers, and after that is my dear profession, Accounting. Like I said earlier, I am as guilty as doctors when dealing with realtors, salespeople, and marketing agents. It doesn’t even matter if they make way more than me. Deep down I just believe that their professions just aren’t as credible.  And guess that’s how doctors and lawyers feel about me. “Sigh” oh well; at least I’m not a marketing agent.

No comments:

Post a Comment