Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Vacation #2

Status: Fluff
San-Diego Zoo

Out of the four places that we went, this one was my least favorite. It was easy enough to find, and it started out fun. We hit the petting zoo first, and while I don’t quite understand the joy of petting goats, Alex does and he enjoyed it immensely.  I guess he has a bit of my dad's Texas roots in him.

Things went along smoothly until we reached the lost forest section, which goes up about four – five level in platforms. This area is incredibly vast, and it became a bit tricky getting out of this section.  Also, many of the animals in this section were no shows, so everyone in our party began to get a little bit testy after about two and a half hours of walking.  Still, this section did provide the highlight of the visit. A chimpanzee came right to the glass, and Alex started freaking making monkey sounds. I wish I had captured a video of it, but this picture will just have to do.

The rest of the day was less tiring, but also rather uneventful. Alex passed out for a good chunk of the day, and a lot of the animals we saw, I’ve seen before. Everyone still had to stop and take a picture of every animal we saw. I don’t really understand that. Now I can understand if you take a picture of yourself or your family in front of an animal, but to just take a picture of an animal behind bars or behind dirty glass I don’t really understand. Is that picture going to really bring back good memories 10 years down the road? I mean seriously, if you just like the animal, you could probably find much clearer pictures of it online. What do I know; I’m just a crusty accountant I guess. I much prefer taking pictures that are a lot like modern art, like this one that I took:


I call it,"Man's cage at the Zoo". I expect to get some acclaim for it at any time.

I was rather surprised at how big the zoo was. After 8 hours, we finally called it a day, and we still hadn’t seen a large section of the zoo. I was secretly relieved, as Alex had been a bit of a daddy’s boy and wanted to be carried by me all day. As you can see below, he's not a small boy, and does tend to get a bit heavy on the arms.

The zoo ranked at a B- for me. It was a bit too spread out, and didn’t offer a lot that I hadn’t already seen before. Except for the Pandas, they were awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment