Sunday, July 17, 2011

Reflections on the CPA Exam: BEC

Status: Fire
Even though I knew right away that I had failed FAR, I was surprisingly motivated for BEC. I had set aside three and a half weeks to study, so I knew that there was no room for error on this one. The first couple of chapters in BEC seemed ridiculously easy. The first chapter was on business entities and the second chapter was on economics.  On AUD and FAR I usually averaged between %65 - %75 on questions the first time around. In BEC, I was averaging %95 through the first two chapters. As you can imagine, this was quite a confidence booster. I felt like Rocky training for the big fight (and not the Rocky from Rocky 1 that Lost. I’m talking about the Rocky from Rocky 2 who won.)

It turns out all good things really must come to an end. The next three chapters were finance, Information technology, and cost accounting. While I did pretty well on the IT section, finance and cost accounting were old enemies of mine, and they reminded me why I hated them so much. Still, even though I struggled with those two sections, I was able to put in a lot of study time (about 25 hours each) into them. For some reason, my study skills were on fire for this test, and looking back, this was definitely my most efficient time during the exam process.

The day of the exam I felt relaxed and confident (a first). My confidence never flagged during this test, and as I ended my final testlet, I knew that this one was a pass. The score: an 83. Not as high as it could have been, but a pass, and that’s good enough for me. This test was a turning point for me, and my confidence was much higher for the rest of the exams.

No comments:

Post a Comment