Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Reflections on the CPA exam: REG Round 1


Status: Fire

After my success on BEC, I was pumped to start studying for this one. There was, however, a slight problem. I was behind by three weeks thanks to Becker not sending me my material on time. After I took BEC, I only had three weeks left to study for REG before the six month window came to a close. I thought about just canceling the test and eating the loss, but I figured it would be worth it to at least take it and find out what my strengths would be. Luckily my motivation was still pretty high, and I started putting in as much study time as possible. I honestly don’t remember a lot about these three weeks. It felt like I was in the middle of a tornado, as illustrated below:

Adding to this was the fact that my first tax season was starting, and there was a lot more going on at work. Before I knew it, the test day had arrived. I did manage to get through all the material, but didn’t have any time to review any of it at the end. As I walked into the testing, I felt that I needed at least one more week. The test was actually a bit easier than I thought it would be, but as I finished up I just had a gut feeling that I didn’t quite make it on this one.

The result: a 70. I was a bit angry about this one, mainly because I knew I could have passed this one with a little bit more time. For a while I just stared at the 70. It’s like it was mocking me, just laughing in my face.  We’d see who would have the last laugh on this one . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment